Wednesday, July 18, 2012

DAY 6


Today there was a mix up with the drivers and we  missed church. I had a small emotional melt down of which I am neither ashamed nor proud. Once we finally got our driver we went to Giant Market which is a two story supermarket with an elevator. It is not as big as it sounds and the prices for our usually ordinary items were very high. A container of yogurt was $7. But we were able to get some cereal,  canned milk, mayonnaise, cheese and other items which are not available on the street market. After my pancake disaster Friday (no, it is NOT possible to cook pancakes in a boiling pot) I was sure to purchase a frying pan. When we were finished shopping at the market, our driver dropped us off at an Italian pizzeria. We tried to persuade him to come eat with us, but he would not. The distinction between classes here is poignant and unavoidable. I am blessed to have a husband who blatantly steps across the line and consistently treats all men as equals. The pizza was exceptional and the appetizer of fried plantains, while not in the least Italian, was tasty too. The kids were excited to have a taste of home.  I need to figure out how to ask Melinda to buy eggs at the market.  Abe said he ordered a dictionary from someone at work, but it will be a couple of weeks before we get it. Everything takes a long time. We still don’t have Internet or phones. :-p

FIRST DATE IN HAITI
We also met Wilman today when he came over to the Guest house to visit Charlie (the other American here to work). He was a driver for Kaytech (the company Abe works for) before he asked for a raise and subsequently quit when he was refused. From what I can gather from Charlie, Wilman was the best driver they had. He speaks very good English and just applied and passed the entrance exam to be a police officer. I congratulated him and told him how I respected someone who would go into a selfless job and care about the people…and he laughed.
 “No,” he said. “You don’t understand. I work for police academy because I need the money. I never take bullet for anyone. It is a bad job but I do it because I do not have any other job to do.” 
Apparently that is the common mindset. Wilman is currently still unemployed, waiting for the Academy to tell him he can spend six months training. He later showed us the line of unemployed men who took the entrance exam at the Academy and were checking the approved list to see if they were in. There were thirteen pieces of paper with names listed in tiny print hung on the wall by the Academy gate.
 Until we have a car of our own provided by Kaytech, we have Cliff and his truck every Sunday. The misunderstandings abounded today, however, as after we went to the market he left us at home for the afternoon. When we called him back later in the evening to take Abe and I out to Petroville he said he was too busy. I was rather upset but Abe soothed my temper and reminded me that a small misunderstanding like Cliff not knowing he was our driver the entire day, would surely lead to him being fired. So, I asked Wilman if he would be our guide and show us a few places. Again, Wilman laughed at me (he enjoys doing that) and said if we do not have a car, we can not go. Abe asked him if we could take the Tap Tap (the local mode of taxi/bus which Adam accurately described as “Tons of people squished like sardines into the back of tiny pickups”) And Wilman became VERY serious.
 “It is far to dangerous for a white woman to go in a Tap Tap. You see my skin? I am Haitian. I have no fear, no worries. You are a white man and every bad person who thinks you have money will stop you and take your possessions. And your lovely woman, a white woman will be taken-kidnapped in no time. No time at all. You must be in a car and you must have a guard.” Upon seeing my fallen countenance Wilman kindly continued. “You see, Madame, When you are riding in a car with driver we have been trained in school to be very cautious. Very safe. We weave in and out of traffic and travel very fast, as fast as we can and never stop the car-never idle in the car. Because when bad man want to kidnap someone, one car in front stop and another car behind stops so the driver can not move. Then they break the windows and grab the people. When you white, they think you have a lot of money to pay ransom.” Well. Even though my hopes were dashed at ever being able to ride in a Tap Tap, at least I now understood why Cliff always drove us like he was high on Crack. ANYWAYS, Wilman borrowed a car from his brother and we paid his brother in extra fuel. Wilman took us to the best place for chicken wings in Haiti and also to sneak a peek at…

 OUR NEW HOUSE.
I must admit to shedding a tear of disappointment after the initial tour. It is NOTHING like I had expected.  Our new house is in Penye. Yet another subdivision in the hilly portion of Port Au Prince. It is quite a drive from the guest house and the area is occupied more by farmers and herders. Goats, cows, pigs, chickens and donkeys were everywhere. The road was like many Haitian roads we have been on so far- A four wheeling adventure that would rival the trails in Moab with deep ditches, huge rocks and flowing water, lined with people. Always TONS of people. Settled off to the side is a security gate with two armed men. Once we entered the gated community,  we were greeted by seven small houses facing each other, all  surrounded by tall cement walls with razor wire. At one end of the area were several tall trees offering shade to what would soon be a communal park on one side, and a sunny clothes washing area was on the other.  The houses on the right had peaked roofs of cement. Abe directed me towards what will be our home- a 30x30 square.  The entire building has hard, shiny tile floors. The small porch on the front of house, I have decided, will be our dining room as there is no room inside for a table. Once you enter the house you can easily spit from one side to the other.  Two minuscule bedrooms are on the left and a single bathroom with a shower is dead ahead, still awaiting a toilet and sink to be squeezed in. Off to the right is a kitchen the size of a minibar-still lacking the cupboards and fridge. Although I am not sure where they will fit. It honestly is like a tiny hunting cabin. But, it is new. It has running water and electricity. All of the windows have screens. And it is ours free- for as long as we need it.  I remember Gayle telling me the housekeeper I MUST have would need to sleep at our house and it makes me laugh. I have a feeling I will be shocking several of my neighbors by becoming super mom AND doing my own laundry. Outside. In a tub. 

2 comments:

  1. Laundry. Outside. In a tub? Woman, your spirit is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS quite a feat. I watch Melinda do it and once I know we are in our last week here I will sit by her and do the laundry with her. I don't want to do it too soon because....I REALLY don't want to wash in a tub. If I have her show me now it might be misunderstood that I am ready to take over. :-p
    They squat down by wide, 1 foot tall buckets and rub bars of soap into the clothes, rinse- repeat, rinse- hand wring, pull them inside out and hang them over the line to dry.

    ReplyDelete