Wednesday, July 18, 2012

DAY 4


Last night was filled with my temper tantrums, I am ashamed to admit. It stormed and rained a little bit. All of my babes ended up in my bed upstairs. I lay in sweaty misery with itchy burning mosquito bites, still no phone or Internet, no drinking water (again), no way to speak to anyone, loud music playing obtrusively outside, the neighbors baby screaming at amazing decibels, and, as I glowered at the filthy walls of my room, my mind started to chant the following mantra, “I don’t belong here. I don’t belong here. I don’t belong here. “
This morning I made chocolate milk and allowed the babes to have tasteless Haitian cookies for breakfast. The order I placed for fresh fruits and vegetables is still not here- It’s been four days since we have eaten anything fresh/raw. I really wish the gummy vitamins had not been placed in the bag that was lost.

  The Babes are currently sitting around me at the table drawing pictures of their new home for Grandma Ueland. Isaiah’s house drawing  is “every color” which is an accurate depiction I decide as I look around. There ARE a lot of colors in here.  A few extras have been added… “Mommy, I put a window on da doowa becuz I wike the doowa with a window in it.”  “Mommy, dere is no bawas on de windows becuz becuz becuz becuz I wike to see no bawas.”  Isaiah has an adorable new trick. When asked to speak Creole (as Melinda often requests of him) he opens his mouth and the most amazing complicated gibberish pours from his little lips-complete with several tongue rolls.  It makes me laugh so hard to think that in his little mind, everyone here just makes random nonsense sounds all the time to fill the silence!

The babes are restless today. As am I. It might be a good idea that I do not have a car to myself yet. I am certain I would venture out too soon. As it is I am itching to go for a walk. Ill advised, but so tempting. Nadine, of of the secretaries at Abe's work is supposed to bring me a phone today. And perhaps the Internet.  Tomorrow we have been invited to the boss, Matthias’ home. I have the clothes set out ready and bath plans set. I really should put off our first big walking adventure until after I impress the Boss. It would be harder to impress with one of us missing. 

4 comments:

  1. I love Isaiah's trick. Our neighbor here in Spain always tries to get my Kaybelle (3) to speak Spanish to her, and she does the same thing. She reverts to total gibberish. My elderly neighbor gets confused, and I find it truly hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping that we will find someone to help us really get going with Creole. Now that we have the internet it will help a LOT. The working class people here can't seem to get over the fact that we are TRYING to learn their language. The upper class try to speak as little Creole as possible and speak only French or English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to hear the babes speak French. It would be so useful in so many countries. If they learned it before turning age 13 they would speak it without an American accent!!! Would make it easier for them to learn the other Romantic languages as well. Do they speak Croele very fast in Haiti?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creole seems to be of a moderate speed. In the schools here they teach French, so my munchlings will for sure be fluent in french. I am thinking of starting them next year.

    ReplyDelete