Wednesday, July 18, 2012

DAY 3


EATING DOG...
Abe went to the other side of the island early this morning and we are left to the mercy of Ed and Melinda until Sunday. While I am not sure she has forgiven me for breaking the hot water, (Abraham was NOT able to fix it. Needs a plumber. So now we have a bucket situated under the cupboard to catch the sink water.)  she has tried to include me in several things today-mainly cooking. I try not to stand statue still and look like an idiot while attempting to decipher her words. I am almost certain I do not succeed. She showed me several herbs and brought fresh peas from the market. She boiled water and oil together and put in green onions, bell pepper and the peas. She used a mortar and pestle to crush boiled garlic and what smelled like curry. Every thing is boiled or fried here. Melinda chattered estactically as she pulled half of a masticated animal leg and breast bone, about the size of a small hound, out of a plastic bag. She kept trying to tell me what it was but even if I could remember it there is still no Internet so I could look up the meaning. She looked very proud of her purchase and kept pointing to the dog and saying “Petites”. Either she was warning me against my children feeding the meat to Dog, or we were in fact going to eat dog. The stray hairs on the flesh attempted to confirm the latter. I am hoping it is goat.

BIG DADDY’S
Last night Abe got under the sink to look at the pipes and chuckled as he asked “YOU were down here messing with pipes?” I was slightly indignant at the idea that he thought I was unable to handle simple plumbing issues… until I caught the peculiar tone in his voice. “Why?” I asked. His hasty never mind coaxed me to prod him further. “Oh, there are just about 20 little guys just sitting here under the sink. They must have scurried away when you were messing with their home.” My stomach turned a bit as I realized what he meant. A big daddy stink bug could have plopped on me at any time. Shivers. 
I have seen a total of five Big Daddy’s so far, and yes they have all been in the kitchen. MELINDA’s kitchen. I have no problem losing that turf war-especially when she has hundreds of 2-3” flying beetles as militia. I had to leave most of my shoes behind in the states, you know.  I try to stay out as much as possible, although today she has dragged me in several times to show me how to cook dog. I mean goat.  I was able to put together some cookie dough and while she watched me quite skeptically her boys enjoyed the “chocolat” and she smiled once she realized the extra propane I used to heat up her kitchen was to a good end. Well, a sweet one anyway.  I did see another Big Daddy, perhaps the largest one yet, scurry from under the oven to join his family in the cool under sink. I must say his long antennae make him seem slightly less fearful. I half expected him to stand up and lecture me about excessive heat usage. Or at least dance a jig.

No comments:

Post a Comment