Friday, August 17, 2012

Mommies and Prayer

This morning I lost it. And so I did what any little girl does when she needs comfort and guidance. I called my Mommy. I told her all that I am going to share on here, and a lot more that I just can't. I laughed with her as we discussed the similarities of my husband with hers (yes, I married a man JUST like my Daddy) and I "laid my head on her shoulder" and cried HARD over things I feel powerless to change. After detailing all the heartaches and troubles and impossible things to do, her final response was... "Go to it! And PRAY before you go at it!" I am so blessed to have a mother who kisses my boo-boos from so far away and ALWAYS encourages me to give it my all. I LOVE YOU, MOM!

<3 My Mom<3

Well. Ahem. Anyways. The past few days have been eventful. :-D

Thursday I took my babes out to see our little house in Penye. I was discouraged at the lack of progress that has been made, but Josue (the project manager) seems dead set that it will be ready for us next week. I am setting my sights for next month so I don't get disappointed. The kitchen cabinets WERE mostly built. It was fun to watch as the carpenter planed and sanded each piece by hand with NO power tools.  See the wonderful red colored walls in the kitchen??? LOVE IT!





Three houses along the Right side are all the same. Concrete with little slat windows- good for hurricane season!!!


This one is actually our house. The 1/2 white wall will soon be bright yellow
:-)

Everywhere we go my kids have guardians. ESPECIALLY whenever they try to touch the floor with their skin. Even with their barefeet skin. If one of my babes drops food on an inside floor and reaches to pick it up-even if it is inside the house, EVERY adult hand reaches out to slap their hands away. At first I thought it was rudely overprotective. Then reality slapped me a bit. Shoes walk on the floors. Shoes have been outside on the streets. People poop and pee on the streets. DUH. We carry hand sanitizer everywhere we go now and my babes are learning that the 3 second rule is VOID!!! Even a toy on the floor is quickly scooped up and washed. NOTHING goes on the floor. Melinda is constantly running after my babes and trying to put their shoes BACK on them. She is fighting a battle... but I am now on her side too.

NO SHOES!!!!!

We went to see Daddy's progress on the school. He is doing so well managing the crews. I am super proud of him. Son Son bought us dishes of fruit from the Lari (street) nearby. Yummy!
Handsome Thaddaeus



The Boss
Making progress!





After our stops we went to Epi'Dor. The restuarant which is quickly becoming our favorite. We ordered a large, yummy pizza for just around $7. This time I was prepared for the throng of little boys and had bills folded up just so for easy grabbing. I handed the first group a bill each, and then one particularly greedy little one started to grab out of another boy's hand. I scolded him and moved his hand away when I saw my mistake. I had given him 10 less than the others. I took it back gave him the right amount. The second wave hit and we headed out soon after. I only had so much. The only English word the boys say when asking for money is "Mommy." Talk about a heart gripper. Little boys holding up one finger, eyes pleading, begging, "Mommy, money?! Mommy?!" The icing on the cake came as were nearly back at the house. We stopped at a traffic light and I looked to my right. A little boy, so tiny and skinny with holes in his shirt, a dirty face, and men's flip flops on his little feet looked my way, held up his finger and said, "Mommy!" I couldn't not. Resisting the ever present urge to grab him up and take him away forever I opened my wallet. I didn't have any more small bills, and don't get me wrong- while what I gave him was twice what I had handed each of the Epi'Dor boys, it still is not a lot. Enough for four sodas, or a hot meal with chicken. I handed him the money. My driver's laughter made me look out at the boy again. The biggest grin I have ever seen had erupted from his little face. He was glowing. I watched as he walked down the street smiling and pulling at his clothes. He finally settled on stuffing the money into a hole in the sole of his flip flop. The driver explained to me that grown men often beat up little orphans and steal their money. He was hiding it from them. This made my heart weep. I told the driver how much I wanted to take all the boys home and feed them every day and love them. He looked at me seriously and said, "Then you start an orphanage." Simple as that. Just do it. 



Today I awoke coughing in a haze of smoke. I bolted out of bed expecting that the haphazard wiring in the house had finally ignited. One glance out the window showed I was, thankfully, wrong. A building down the street was engulfed in flames and thick black smoke was billowing upwards. About ten minutes later I heard the sirens and saw the firetrucks. There is no such thing as a fast response for ANYTHING here. I called Abe and he said that an hour prior he saw the corner power pole sparking. It had caught the nearby building on fire. Thankfully it seemed that everyone in and nearby were unharmed. I am so anxious for Penye and new, although still Haitian, wiring. 
Adam felt sick this morning as did Carolanne. I noted it was day four of no running water to clean with. The toilets had been overflowing, baths had not been given. Living like a local with an outhouse behind the house would have been a welcome relief to the stench and nastiness. The water pump has been broken for four days now and everytime I confront Melinda about it she says that someone is coming to fix it. Still nothing. I got breakfast for the kids and came back upstairs to make my bed. That's when Carol came running in to say Adam had a potty accident.
Now, I will spare you the details that I am sure you can imagine. Just add to that NO WATER to clean up an embarrassed, sick 7 year old. I used freezing cold drinking water that I tried to warm with my hand. Freshly fueled by this and Carol saying her tummy hurt and NOT liking the idea of her puking over a full toilet, I picked up the phone, made arrangements and prepared to leave a piece of my mind with the lady in charge of our housing. Water or hotel. I tucked my sickies in bed with a movie and left them in Melinda's capable hands. I heeded Mom's advice and prayed as I waited for the driver. 
I made it to the office, marched passed the guard, up the stairs and sat down at the desk. 
"I need to have a solution to the water issue at the guest house. And if it can not be resolved now then I need a hotel room for my children and I immediately." 
She looked at me. "I do not know of the situation or how to fix it."
"Well, I have all day. I will wait." I crossed my legs and stared at her amicably. She met my *hopefully* fierce blue eyes with her brown ones. Saw my determination. Picked up the phone and FIXED THAT WATER! Among several other issues that have been hanging in the air undone. I left feeling satisfied and didn't even have to yell or shoot anyone. We now have running water and the secretary doesn't hate me. WIN!
After the office visit I went to pick up Abe and rode home with him. A good breather for us both. On the way I was able to snap a few shots of the market for you to enjoy :-)

Fresh...did I say FRESH chicken?
Yes, they are alive with their legs tied together.
The roosters are blindfolded.
 Poor little buggars.
The are awfully tasty though...

Look to the left at the shoe store. TONS of black shoes laid
out neatly on the street.

The walking pharmacy. The leaning tower of Pillsa.
Any over the counter remedy and vitamin.
 And now my friends, good bye for now. Always Remember:


We miss you *this* tall...


Love you *this* much...
Wish you *this* much happiness...
And  joy!!!!


GOOD NIGHT!












5 comments:

  1. Beautiful colors on the house. I want to paint the inside of our home all bright but your dad would NOT find it as enjoyable as I. The photos are wonderful... helps my soul connect. To see ALL of your faces aglow with the peace that passes all understanding is indescribable. Thanks. And the photo of Abe cracks me up! Congratulations on the successful office visit. (Pro 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.)Amazing how God is always right!! Love you, Sissy Boo. ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was praying fr that solution too, since De Ann told me about the water problem that day. I'm so glad it got worked out the way it did. It is wonderful to see them smiling. Sickies are no fun in the best of situations. Im praying you are all feeling well again.
    I was thinking about those little lost boys as I was picking cherry tomatoes and zucchini today, knowing they need so much more than food. Praying for them as well. Thank you for what a tremendous blessing you are, let your footsteps lead a path to Jesus. Much love. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie, this is Alina, Andy Smith's wife. You are my hero!!! I just found your blog through Andy's fb page. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is always so helpful to get comments. I miss my old life SO much! Hope life in Moab blesses you as much as it did me. <3

      Delete