Friday, August 24, 2012

Concrete and Hurricanes

I know I have not been posting as I should. I PROMISE it is not due to me tiring of writing to you all. I wish it was because I am as wonderfully busy as I used to be. I've just honestly been in a bit of an Eeyore mood and writing to you in that state is never a good idea...

We have been awaiting the arrival of Tropical Storm Isaac all day. The latest word is that it will turn into a hurricane before it hits us. While living in Missouri and Tennessee I have seen a few tornadoes, this will be my first experience with a hurricane. I have the feeling it will not be my last. :-/

 Abe went to work for a bit but ended early. We were able to pick him up and then head out to Penye to see how ready our little houses ISN'T. Another week perhaps. Who knows. sigh. Patience has never been my strong point and it is clear God has been giving me chances to exercise that muscle.

While picking Abe up for work we got to see a Haitian concrete delivery. I am quite impressed. Two rows of men lined up on the ground, up the ladders and onto the roof where they were pouring the concrete. They handed bucket after bucket rapidly along the line like they were trying to put out a fire. Positioned at the beginning of the line was an old mixer and men shoveling concrete mix, crushed rock and water into it. Quite the efficient system. Of course, I took pictures. I will post them once the camera charges up again!


Abe is in the kitchen cooking up the pancake batter I made. I had a slight melt down that involved Melinda, money, food, and bugs. Once again working that patience muscle. Abe took over making the pancakes so I would not find it necessary to activate a different muscle towards something that might be living. I love my Abe. I think the hormone cream I have been using might be working a bit too well...

We were able to skype our dear family in Missouri this evening. It was a rather crazy, crowded call with everyone (including Dawee) trying to talk at once and fill the camera space. It was so nice to see their faces and connect with them. Even got to see Grandpa Ueland and Uncle Steve. :-)

The wind is starting to pick up now. My friend in the Dominican Republic just informed me that their power is out as they feel the effects of the storms outskirts. hmmmm. Freaky. There went our power.  I am glad we have this back up system.

Adam has arrived with my pancakes. I am off to love on my kids, kiss up the hubs and wait out this storm. Wind is really picking up now. Love to you all!




2 comments:

  1. Praying for you as you weather this storm, Ellie. Also praying that the house is done SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you inherited your patience from me...sorry.

    It is just good to see you posting. This little line of communication is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete