Friday, September 28, 2012

Husband, Food and 80 days

Yesterday I experienced the first total bomb of a dinner since arriving in Haiti. It is with a degree of humility, believe it or not, that I tell you creating yummy dinners is a specialty of mine. Perhaps my brain was fried from the constant battle for usable water and occasional power. The size of my pocketbook usually does not dictate the quality of dinner in the Barlow home. But for some reason, my usual three ingredient challenge overcame my Super powers, and dinner....well it was really quite horrid. I am anxious for pay day so I can restock our cupboards and try again.

Abe has been working every single day of the week, leaving while the neighbor's roosters prophesy the coming of the sun and arriving home long after she resigns in beautiful, exotic hues and leaves us to the gentle solace of warm tropical rain. The school they are trying to finish opens on Monday and they will resort to working from two in the afternoon to two am. We have played at that shift before and I feel I can successfully slide our schedule a little to ease his. I used to think the older the kids were the easier it would be to keep them quiet while Daddy slept-but I have learned that bigger kids make bigger noises. ;-) I am anxious for this job to be over. The dark circles are starting to move in and Abe can hardly form a coherent sentence that does not include "Stud placement" "Plah Bon" or "Magboard"...

This week Abe was able to witness the graduation of several of "his guys" from the work program. You see, when Abe left us in the states earlier this year and came here for three months alone, his main work was teaching general construction to a group of unemployed Haitian men in a classroom, then continuing their education "hands-on" at various job sites. Since coming back in July Abe has been supervising and working with the very men he trained. They have now finished their training and were awarded not only with pieces of paper stating such, but with a sense of pride in their accomplishment and hard work. Such a blessing to see a successful training system at work. My husband puts in tireless hours with these men, repeating lessons over and over until they are learned, rising above frustrations, overcoming language and class barriers-earning their trust and confidence. Some of the stories Abe shares with me about the lives of the men he mentors are heart breaking and sensitive by nature. I try to remember to pray faithfully for them. For their families. For their salvation. For their dreams and aspirations. So much is possible when opportunity is given.

A lot has come into perspective for me in the last 80 days and I have no doubt my heart and mind will continue to sway and bend as God shows me the path HE wants for my life. My time spent has changed from holding two jobs for the public service, being active in my church and community and playing super soccer mom, to being a stay at home mommy. And while "stay at home Mom" in the states is considered an ironic oxy-moron, a "stay at home Mom" in Haiti is exactly that. I stay at home.

Twice a week, three if we are able to go to church, I venture from the security of my little house and take in the world around me. Both afternoons are filled with market shopping. One afternoon inevitably ends up filled with make shift clinic meetings with the family members of the men Abe works with that have maladies varying from traumatic injuries obtained from daring falls to infections to feminine concerns... For a few moments while writing notes and getting a history from so and so's sister's friend's brother, I am nostalgic for my EMS work in Moab, then I rush off to purchase various remedies and restock my bandage supply. It still makes me smile when I think of how those in need come into contact with me. I don't set out looking for them. Usually they come on days when I have resigned my lot to be content with stay at home mothering. ;-) Being able to apply a bandage, give a medicine, hand a few gdes to an empty hand is like dessert after a satisfying meal. It would have been enough to have the tasty dinner, but the occasional dessert just sets everything perfect.

All of my food similes must be transferred through brain waves as my babes are asking for lunch. Let's see if we can manage some simple, tasty bread.

Be well, my friends... and go thank whomever is responsible for your tap actually pouring water into the sink. ;-)



5 comments:

  1. I so enjoy your blogs!! Thank you for posting. Praying for you and yours! God's peace be with you on your journey to where ever He takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I your comments :-) It really boosts my day to see comments!!! Thank you. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is difficult for me to imagine your table spread with a truly horrid meal but, alas, even super woman has a down day once in a great while. Drive on.

    80 days. It seems like just last week you were sorting and resorting (ad nosium) what remained of your meager belongings on my living room floor. Now you have settled into the home God has chosen for you. I have been wondering in the quiet of moments of my days...will I ever be so close to God that just knowing I am in His will, will be enough regardless of what human circumstances encompass me. This is my passion but the humanness of me gets in the way...

    Love you, Sissie Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your brain waves were on food because you messed up dinner. Lol. I can't believe it, I REFUSE to believe it! I firmly insist that you could make tomato soup created out of ketchup packets taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *blush* Thank you! But it was really bad! My babes were smothering it in ketchup to choke it down. Abe ate it without complaint. But he IS Abe. ;-)
    Mom, I pray that will happen, too. My humanness seems to be always in the way.

    ReplyDelete